Re: FYI: VCS choice these days

On 21-May-08, 11:15 (CDT), Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi, (Composed as UTF-8 mail with graphic characters)
>
> I have been trying to update debian reference.  As a part of this
> effort, I made snapshot of popularity of packages.
>
> One of the most interesting thing I noticed by doing this was change in
> popularity of VCS.  (Just 1/2 year r so).
>
> When I started to track popcon data, CVS was used more than SVN.  GIT
> was just had very minor portion of VCS user.
>
> Here are a summary of the version control system (VCS) on the Debian system now:
> [*snip*]

FWIW, and I'm not sure it actually conflicts or invalidates or even
causes questions of the popcon data, but installs, at least, may not
mean that much. On my main home box, several years old now, I've got all
of cvs, svn, rcs[1], mercurial, git, and bzr installed, because at one
point or another I've need to grab source from a repository that used
that particular tool. Currently I only *use* mercurial.

Steve

[1] Used to track changes to config files until mercurial came along.

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net