Re: divergence from upstream as a bug

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 07:48:55AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:
> > Try to git-format-patch (or whatever tool applies for the particular
> > DVCS) each feature branch, see whether they apply cleanly by
> > luck/accident.  If so, store them as a 3.0 (quilt) debian/patches.
>
> They will not except for trivial cases. And in trivial cases you can
> probably seperate patches from on big patch reasonably well too.

I'm not sure what you mean with "trivial cases".  Most patches I've seen
to upstream involve different source files, with the exception of
Makefile{,.in,.am}, maybe.  Even if a change involves several source
files and another the same, it's not a given that the changes necessary
overlap.

So I think it works except for complicated cases.

Michael