Re: divergence from upstream as a bug

On Sunday 18 May 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Isn't this already the case in practice?  Do you really see many Debian
> packages that have modified *.orig.tar.gz tarballs?  And if so, have you
> filed bugs?

Sorry for the delay, but now I saw that Don Armstrong also asked such a
question, but I forgot to reply to him while having a lunch yesterday. While
digging in debian source packages I have seen several such in the past, but I
only remember dist now -- compare:

the rest might already been fixed now... And no, I didn't file a bugs against
these, since I wanted to avoid an useless teaching of how to access the DD
VCS, which I hate most.

> > And when extending the source packaging format, do not throw away the
> > good properties lightly. Git for example is no format to present
> > modifications. It is one to present history (which is almost but not
> > quite something completely different).

> Git is quite good at presenting modifications if you know how to use it.

...and also true.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB