Re: divergence from upstream as a bug

On Sunday 18 May 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:
--cut--

> Isn't this already the case in practice?  Do you really see many Debian
> packages that have modified *.orig.tar.gz tarballs?  And if so, have you
> filed bugs?

Sorry for the delay, but now I saw that Don Armstrong also asked such a
question, but I forgot to reply to him while having a lunch yesterday. While
digging in debian source packages I have seen several such in the past, but I
only remember dist now -- compare:
http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/R/RA/RAM/dist-3.0@70.tar.gz
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dist/dist_3.70.orig.tar.gz

the rest might already been fixed now... And no, I didn't file a bugs against
these, since I wanted to avoid an useless teaching of how to access the DD
VCS, which I hate most.

> > And when extending the source packaging format, do not throw away the
> > good properties lightly. Git for example is no format to present
> > modifications. It is one to present history (which is almost but not
> > quite something completely different).

True.

> Git is quite good at presenting modifications if you know how to use it.

...and also true.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB