Re: How to handle Debian patches

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 16 mai 2008 à 16:04 -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :
> > You're insinuatiog that a VCS does not allow easily browsing and
> > examining patches, and I just don't buy it.
>
> I can do more than insinuating: a VCS does not allow easily browsing and
> examining patches. It doesn’t prevent it, but solely, it is not
> sufficient.

Just like a debian/patches is far from sufficient for presenting patches
in a generally usable or understandable format, which is why Raphael is
suggesting to add extra metadata to it.

Coming up with a complex set of requirements that everyone has to follow
up front in their workflow[1] is not going to yeld the best results, and
I think that's my core reason for disliking Raphael's proposal. Now, if
you can come up with protocols/interfaces that can be used to
publish/communicate patches, that are managed/generated in whatever way
is most useful for the maintainer, that seems more likely to work.

--
see shy jo

[1] I hate using this word, but I think you know what I mean.