Re: conglomeration packages (Re: Will nvidia-graphics-drivers ever transition to testing?)

Le May 14, 2008 09:41:02 am Lennart Sorensen, vous avez écrit :
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:32:07PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> > I don't follow you. iceweasel, for example, is not independent from, say,
> > libnspr.
>
> If they come from one source package, then they all build together.  If
> they do not, then it's a dynamicly linked library and each can be built
> and updated independantly.  kernel modules have to be rebuilt if the
> sources change (just like any application of course) but also if the
> kernel is changed (which an application does not, not even when
> libraries change) which is hence a rebuild requirement external to the
> package itself.
Your second parenthesis is wrong. Just like LKM-s when the stock kernels'
ABINAME is bumped, applications need to be rebuilt when the ABI of one of the
libraries they link to changes in a way which is not backwards-compatible.
You can check http://wiki.debian.org/OngoingTransitions for examples of
library transitions.