Re: Is master unsuitable to receive mail from lists.debian.org?

Colin Watson wrote:
> Yes, I've been seeing the same thing. It's usually just an irritation,
> but I guess some day I'll hit a threshold and get unsubscribed from a
> bunch of lists.

Wouldn't it be possible to configure the mail server to filter the mail
based on the header content? That is,

 * Is it spam? => Yes => Now do the following:

   1. If mail from a mailing list or precedence Bulk or has List-Id in
headers, discard it
   2. Reject with 5xx - Spam

This is kind of what I have setup postfix to do except I filter based on
source IP - could be easier to setup in master's case. If mail is from a
known mailing list server (eg. debian, sourceforge), it gets accepted
and processed in a post queue filter with spam being dropped. If mail is
not from a known mailing list server, it goes to default configuration
which does pre-queue filtering where spam is rejected with 5xx SMTP
level message.

I'm sure it would be possible to set it up based on the existence of

The only side effect is sometimes the number of connections are more
than the server can filter, but that is not generally a significant
problem. It just means the connection is delayed for a few minutes.

- Adam