Re: Building with -msse

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:05:17PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> gnubg supports optionally building with SSE support for increased speed in
> the analytical engine.  I have to date kept this disabled to not generate
> binaries that might not run on all otherwise-supported Debian systems.
>
> However, a user mentioned that he thinks all chips that fall into the
> amd64 architecture have SSE and hence adding -msse would be safe for the
> amd64 build.  Is that correct?

There is no need to enable -msse on amd64.  It has always been on by
default.

> And in general are there any guidelines
> about things like this?  I assume that using -msse for the i386 build is
> still out since we still support 486 chips.

If you want to have different optimizations depending on the cpu,
there are a two options I know of:
- When you hace shared libraries you can put them in directories like
  /usr/lib/i686/sse/.  The dynamic linker whould pick it up for
  you in that case.  (I have no idea if it looks at i686/sse or not,
  but it looks at various other dirs, I can't find documentation for it.)
- Use runtime detection of the cpu and select the best option yourself.

> (I don't think the performance gain warrants the complexity of building
> two binaries, although it is noticable.)

It all depends if you think the performance gain is worth it.

Kurt