Re: RFH: Multiarch capable toolchain as release goal

Ove Kaaven <ovek@arcticnet.no> writes:

> Andreas Barth skrev:
>> * Lennart Sorensen (lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca) [080415 22:26]:
>>> I suspect by the time a fully working multiarch is done, x86 won't need
>>> it anymore because everything will be fully 64bit. :)
>
> As Wine maintainer, I'd disagree with that.
>
>> People, we want to release soon. Anyone is welcome to hack on feature in
>> experimental, but please do not push for stuff to unstable which is
>> expected to break stuff. If it wasn't important enough to push it during

Have you read the patch? All it does is add more SEARCH_DIR("...");
entries to the /usr/lib/ldscripts/ and correct the entries that are
wrong now. The risk is virtually zero. Far far away from "expected to
break stuff".

>> the last 12 months, it isn't important enough to hold up the release
>> now.

It has been pushed since sarge. Unfortunately pushing doesn't mean
anything will give. The glibc and gcc teams where nice enough to add
the patches for multiarch support but binutils has just kept stubborn.

> The way I understand it, they HAVE been pushing... and pushing... for
> a long time... against a nonresponsive binutils maintainer. This
> thread is just their latest, last-ditch effort since nothing else
> worked so far. But I could be wrong, I guess.

You are right. The patch has been around for years and requests for any
response to the patch have just been ignored.

MfG
        Goswin