Re: Misc development news (#6)

Raphael Hertzog schrieb am Tuesday, den 15. April 2008:

Hi,

*snip*
> Use a recent devscripts
> -----------------------
>
>  With the introduction of the new Checksums-* fields in the changes file,
>  debsign had to be fixed to also update the checksums in the new fields
>  (see #474949). Be sure to run devscripts 2.10.25 or newer, otherwise
>  you'll generate broken *.changes files which will be rejected by dak.
>
>  The current version of mergechanges is also behaving badly with those new
>  fields, it will be fixed in the next version of devscripts (2.10.26).
Aren't the dpkg maintainers able to get such things fixed in advance of
uploading dpkg? I'm still missing an announcement (of course before the
upload) about that "feature". I don't think that such an important package as
dpkg should be handled like this.

*snip*

> dpkg-buildpackage sets default value to CFLAGS, etc.
>
>  Since dpkg 1.14.17, dpkg-buildpackage will define the environment
>  variables CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and FFLAGS. The goal is to
>  be able to easily recompile packages with supplementary compilation flags
>  and to simplify the debian/rules files since CFLAGS has the right default
>  value (no need to special case for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt).
At first I thought: WTF? Why are such important changes to the build
enviroment not announced and discussed before they are introduced? This - in
my eyes really bad feature - produces many FTBFS, unreproducible builds and
other problems. I think it's a bad idea and it would have been nice to have it
discussed before the upload to unstable (I really hope I didn't miss an
announcement via dda). Additionally it's really really bad timing. Why does
such things have to happen when we are preparing the release?

Again I don't think that a package like dpkg should be handled like this.

Alex