I'm hijacking yaz

  Hi,

  You will find my previous mail at the end of this one.
I never heard anything about Eric Schwartz since my last mail (in fact, since
the beginning). And nothing has changed in Debian about yaz, despite of a very
cooperative upstream (about licensing issue in particular) and a DSFG-ok upstream
version since January, 15th 2008.
  I want newer yaz to be in lenny (moreover, the version of yaz in
stable, testing and sid should be removed due to the old licensing issue...)

  So, I announce here that I hijack the yaz package. I will maintain it
in the yaz git sub-project (in the alioth collab-maint project).
Any co-maintainers are welcome (I would be very happy if Eric Schwartz comes
back). I need this package for another one (koha) and that is the only
reason why I look at it.

  I'm uploading yaz-3.0.26+debian.1. It will sit in NEW due to new libraries
package (new soname). Package are available on my web page[1].

  I'm working with upstream to merge our packaging effort: they were proposing
their Debian version of the yaz package. I'm very confident that packages on their
website and packages in Debian (sid, testing and backports.org) will be the same :-)
And next upstream releases will not include debian/ directory avoiding the need
to recreate a orig.tar.gz :-)

  Best regards,
    Vincent

[1] http://www-id.imag.fr/~danjean/deb.html#yaz
Note: this webpage is not always up-to-date nor exact...

Vincent Danjean wrote:
> Adam Dickmeiss (upstream) wrote:
>> YAZ 3.0.24 is available. All source is now covered by 'Revised BSD' -
>> including the CCL module. The ziffy part has been removed (is GPL). ziffy
>> be distributed separately at a later time.
>
>   Thank you very much for your work on this point. This cleanup the licensing
> issue with this sowtware.
>
>   Can the current yaz maintainer (Eric Schwartz) says what he wants to do ?
>
> For information :
> - libnet-z3950-zoom-perl (in the Debian perl group) depend on a new version of yaz
> - Koha (an ITP) is also waiting for a new version of yaz
>
> - before etch release, I made an NMU in experimental (I do not want to disturb
>   the release) of yaz 2.1.48+debian.1-0.2
> - a few month ago, I remade an NMU in unstable this time (3.0.16+debian.1-0.1)
>   It has been rejected due to the licensing problem. I send a mail to upstream
>   that tell us that they will work on this issue.
>   Of cause, for both NMU, I try to talk to Eric. I got no answer (and nothing
>   appears in the BTS)
> - a few weeks later (31.12.2007), Eric made an upload of 3.0.18 (always without
>   any mail explaining for examples what are his plans). Of course, ftp-master
>   reject it with the same reason as my 3.0.16 NMU (and seems a little bit upset
>   that Eric does not take care of the previous reject)
> - on 29.01.2008, upstream (Adam Dickmeiss) tells us that a new upstream release
>   fixing licensing issue is available (#463116)
> - on 27.02.2008, a mail from the Debian External Health System (a.k.a. DEHS)
>   was sent to yaz@packages.qa.debian.org talking about the new release.
>
>   I do not want to maintain yaz if it is maintain by someone else. But several
> people (including me) need a new version of yaz in Debian.
>
>   I do not want to make yet another NMU because I fear that my work (and time)
> will be lost (as Eric made a 3.0.18 release without telling anybody about it).
>
>   So either Eric makes a new release or I will hijack this package.
> There are too many changes since the 2.1.18-2 currently in Debian for an NMU
> (it would be way to intrusive). I was hopping that Eric will make his maintainer
> job (releasing AND communicating) but it is not the case.
>
>   I will wait for a few weeks again. But if nothing comes from Eric, I will
> hijack his package without any other mail (there have been too many not answered
> at all, and nothing in the BTS)
> If this happens, I will be glad to accept any other co-maintainer willing to help
> on yaz packaging.
>
>   Best regards,
>     Vincent

- --
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87
Unofficial pacakges: http://www-id.imag.fr/~danjean/deb.html#package
APT repo:  deb http://perso.debian.org/~vdanjean/debian unstable main