Seeking for advice on packaging reunified upstream source

Dear all,

I'm the current maintainer of ZeroC Ice packages.  Ice is a GPL'd
CORBA-like middleware for distributed heterogeneous computing.

Recently the upstream developers reunified all of the source packages
into a single big tarball.  Some of the packages (the Java5 packages)
work well under icedtea and Sun JRE 6 but they don't work at all under
any other Java 6 JVM distributed in Debian. Therefore they should go
to contrib.  But now there is just one source package.  AFAIK IcedTea
is entering main debian soon.

Should I split the source package into a main and contrib part?
Should I release binaries for the DFSG-free part and provide a simple
way to recompile the package with the full functionality?
Should I provide binaries in main for the Java packages generated with
gcj (they would run fine with IcedTea)?
Is it fine to upload a binary to contrib while the source package is in main?

Best regards,
Paco

--
Paco Moya <paco@debian.org>