Re: Service stopping in prerm considered harmful

Pierre THIERRY <nowhere.man@levallois.eu.org> writes:

> For the nth time, I have a package that dpkg is unable to remove because
> it tries to stop a service that either is already stopped (I didn't want
> it) or couldn't start at all. In the former case, the fix seems simple:
> start the service and remove the package. But sometimes starting the
> service may have undesirable outcomes on the system, or the stop action
> will fail in some way.
> In either case, when you can't get a successful stop action for the
> service init.d script, the package is impossible to remove without human
> action, and not a simple one, because you need to be able to hack the
> maintainer scripts or the init.d script.
> Shouldn't the maintainer script actually ensure that the service is not
> running, instead of just triggering the stop action and checking its
> exit code? Something like (it's pseudo-code, because the status action
> of init.d scripts prints text, it doesn't seem to give machine-friendly
> data):

I think the right solution to this is to require that the stop action not
fail when the daemon already isn't running.  LSB requires this of init
scripts.  I think we should as well.  There may already be an open Policy
bug about this, along with the several bugs that say that we should follow
LSB in general.