Information about smart card tokens (product links for US residents)

Hi,

        Firstly, since it is also being sent to debian-devel nothing in
 this mail is private.

        I have been wanting to investigate using a smart card to put my
 gpg subkeys, but most of the information about Linux support is
 scattered, and seems to be skewed towards the FSFE's fellowship card,
 which is not an options for those of us not in Europe. Also, buying the
 card from kernel concepts in .de is expensive,  since shipping costs
 seem to outweigh the cost of the card itself.

        I also found it very hard to get information about supported
 hardware, so I decoded to put my research effort into this email (and
 into a del.icio.us bookmark, below). If someone has used any of these
 things chimes in with which of these can be used with signing subkeys,
 as opposed to having the key generated and kept on the card, I'd
 appreciate it.

        So, the starting point was  wikipedia [0],
 which feed into the fsfe card [1], and the place to buy it from [2].

 0: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP_card
 1: http://www.fsfe.org/en/card
 2: http://www.kernelconcepts.de/en/shop/products/security.shtml?hardware

        Unfortunately, this is expensive for people not in europe, so I
 want looking for compatible hardware. The GnuPG howto[3] has an
 (incomplete, old) list of hardware, but the libccid[4] page has an updated
 list of hardware. This was good, I can see lots of things that are
 available this side of the pond.

 3: http://www.gnupg.org/howtos/card-howto/en/ch02s02.html
 4: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libccid

        I was also pointed to the M.U.S.C.L.E. page (Movement for the
 Use of Smart Cards in a Linux Environment) [5], and mailing list
 archives for muscle[6] -- I have yet to read them, but on skimming there
 seems to be a lot of useful information can be gleaned from them

 5: http://www.linuxnet.com/info.html
 6: http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/dev/muscle/

        I found a FAQ [7] for opensc, and other software[8], [9] for
 supporting smart card readsers in Debian.

 7: http://www.opensc-project.org/faq.html
 8: http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/
 9: https://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=30112

        Now, the issue about hardware that people in the US can buy, and
 the cards that the supported readers can read. [3] amd [4] above do not
 talk about cards, so I was happy to find [10], which has a whole slew
 of free software supported hardware that people in the USA can get.

 10: http://www.usasmartcard.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=22&keyword=&manufacturer_id=0&Itemid=26&orderby=product_name&limit=50&limitstart=0

        I also found keyboards [11], [12] (not sure if [12] is
 supported), and some supported USB card readers [13], [14] (though 14
 might be obsoleted and out of stock).

 11: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=651161
 12: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=823253
 13: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1044563
 14: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=570512

        There is even information for people wanting to code to these
 cards [15], [16]
 15: http://www.linuxnet.com/musclecard/index.html
 16: http://web.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ko189283/MuscleCard/MuscleCardArticle.html

        manoj

 http://del.icio.us/srivasta/smartcard

--
As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their
sport. Shakespeare, "King Lear"