Re: source:Version and ancient dpkg-dev

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Oohara Yuuma wrote:
> > This is not needed:
> > - updating build-essential would update it for lenny/sid only
> > - only oldstable (sarge) has a dpkg version that doesn't support it
> >
> > Thus fixing build-essential doesn't fix it for the only case where it's
> > broken, when building on sarge.
>
> Fixing build-essential does fix it at least for my case; my machine
> was partially-upgraded sarge.  Is versioned dependency for preventing
> such stupidity?

Versioned dependency from what on what?

I doubt you have a build-essential coming from lenny/sid on your sarge
machine. In all other cases, we come back to my previous explanation.

We do our best to support partial upgrades, but supporting compilation
of (testing/unstable) packages on machines which are running a partially
upgraded olstable is not something we target.

Ideally the package maintainer has added a versioned build-dependency on
the dpkg-dev when he started using ${source:Version} but we typically tend
to drop such versioned dependencies when they concern oldstable only.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog