Re: broken .orig.tar.gz (Re: package upload rejected - no email)

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 04:27:03PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Joerg has been moving towards doing more of this, and I applaud him for
> doing so.  I hope that anyone else who works on NEW does the same.  It's
> one of our best opportunities to raise the general quality of the archive
> up-front, rather than filing bugs and trying to chase down maintainers who
> sometimes no longer care now that their software is in the archive.

I disagree with this entirely.  The critical part of NEW checking is the
license: whether it's legal to distribute and whether it's suitable for
main.  Anything else can be fixed up after the fact, and discretion
beyond that should be discouraged, in my opinion.

Furthermore, since anything (including the license) can be broken in
subsequent uploads, making the NEW checkpoint more meaningful could
lull one into a false sense of security.