Re: Version numbering for security uploads of native packages

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 03:47:56AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The current binNMU numbering scheme was selected explicitly to allow
> security uploads to sort later by numbering as
> <last_version>+<release><serial>; e.g., 1.2-5.1+etch1.

This could also lead to a problem in very rare cases: If a program has
the same version in stable and testing, and gets a security update, then
they both get a similar version.  For the example, say 1.2-5.1+sarge1 in
stable and 1.2-5.1+etch1 in testing.  Now the version in testing is
lower than that in stable, because "etch" << "sarge" (which is why I
didn't use current names, since "lenny" is, by chance, >> "etch").  If
this happens close to a release, and there is no new unstable
(non-security-versioned) upload migrating to testing, this means users
will end up with the oldstable version of the package (which may contain
dependencies on wrong library versions, for example).

This may never be a problem in reality, but it is a real bug in the
numbering scheme, AFAICS.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html