Re: actively notifying users of removed packages

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 04:19:42PM +0100, Luca Brivio <lucab83@infinito.it> was heard to say:
> Alle 14:57, mar 11 marzo 2008, Andreas Bombe ha scritto:
> > It's no active notification, but aptitude lists all installed packages
> > that aren't in any distribution included in sources.list under "Obsolete
> > and Locally Created Packages".  Verifying that this doesn't include any
> > packages that I expect there (like locally compiled kernel module
> > packages) is my way of checking for removed packages.
>
> aptitude should perhaps list packages that became (that is, are and weren't
> before) obsolete (= not being in any archive? removed?) every time actions
> are performed through its CLI? Seems like an efficient way...

  I wrote a patch to do this on the way to work this morning, and I
think it should actually work now.  Note, though, that it only works for
obsolete packages in the new index: if you remove a source and update,
packages made obsolete by that change aren't detected.

  Daniel