Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:07:15 +0100
From: Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: dpkg semi-hijack - an announcement (also, triggers)

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 02:17:15PM -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
On Sun March 9 2008 14:46:50 Cyril Brulebois wrote:
Is dpkg handling the boot sequence? Or are you confusing that with
dependency-based initscripts?

I hope I'm not mis-stating Frans's position when I say that Frans
believes dpkg triggers are the best way to install dependency-based
initscripts[0].  Otherwise the installer unnecessarily and repetitively
globally recalculates initscript dependencies for each package installed.

I expect dpkg triggers would also be valuable for things like mktexlsr
runs when working with texlive.

AOL.  Try installing anything tex-related on a slow or mid-speed machine.

So, what about leaving the bikeshed painted in Ian's color, and starting
from that point?  There are two strong technical arguments: 1. triggers
being a vital piece, and 2. diverging from Ubuntu is badly counter-
productive.

And then you can duke it out about NULL vs (char*)0 to your heart's content.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be