Re: dpkg semi-hijack - an announcement (also, triggers)

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 11:28:13AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> [1] Guillem persistently reintroducing errors, wholesale
>
> Here is an example of a big code change made by Guillem:
>   http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=commit;h=4e5846ccd3dcc33504aba8ef35a8962bccfd562e
> However this is wrong as I explained here:
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2007/10/msg00200.html

OK, you are correct here, but (char *) NULL would be clearer overall.

> I also emailed Guillem privately in August 2007 to ask that he stop
> this kind of thing.
>
> Guillem has persisted with exactly the same mistake.  For example:
>   http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=commit;h=02680ecbbbf6da2b023891a11b38ecce5346dbbd
>
> It is one thing to make a coding mistake.  Everyone makes mistakes.
> It is quite another to make a widespread change, without discussion,
> and which is even if it is correct and worthwhile only at best
> stylistically helpful.  And then, after having been told that it was
> wrong, to continue requires a dogmatic belief in one's own
> correctness.

Here, either make sense in C99.  NULL does give slightly more context
than 0 however, so there's nothing technically wrong with the change,
even if your preferred style is to use 0.

I seriously can't believe that you hijacked this over a disagreement
about the definition/usage of NULL.  Include <stdlib.h> and be done
with it already--it's not like this is a pressing or difficult problem
that warranted this action!

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh