Re: dpkg semi-hijack - an announcement (also, triggers)

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 05:21:47PM +0000, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 05:50:16PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >
> >   AHAHAHAHAHA I totally missed that part in the first read. You're
> > totally on crack. Under C, NULL is defined as (void *)0
> > (and *NOT* (char *)0 that is TOTALLY wrong for obvious reasons), and
> > "someone" is not going to #define NULL  0.
>
> It is defined like that on some OSs.

  Not in Debian, and dpkg is mostly a Debian tool, working on the glibc,
that defines NULL the proper way.

>  It's perfectly valid to do that.

  No it's not, and OSes that do, are not C99 compliant (and not even C89 IIRC,
but I've no C89 spec at hand to check).

> In case of stdarg you need to cast NULL to a pointer.

That's the very reason why NULL shall be a pointer.

Here is the relevant C99 quote:

    § 7.17 Common definitions <stddef.h>
    [...]
    3 The macros are
	      NULL
      which expands to an implementation-defined null pointer constant; and

0 is not a pointer, hence disqualifies.

Cheers,
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit