Re: Introducing security hardening features for Lenny

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 06:16:33AM +0000, Kees Cook wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally got some time to run some benchmarks.  I checked the results[1]
> into the "hardening" svn tree, in case other people want to contribute
> more stuff.
>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:46:55PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > Video:
> > mplayer with the -benchmark option in conjunction with -nosound and -vo.
>
> mplayer doesn't compile with PIE due to the various ASM routines.  (I've
> noted this failure mode in the wiki[2] now.)  However, with everything
> else enabled (including FORTIFY_SOURCE), there was no measurable
> difference (it was below the percentage difference between runs):
>
>         runtime in seconds
> Mplayer Normal  Hardened
> 1        10.87   10.807
> 2        10.873  10.824
> 3        10.854  10.963
> 4        10.809  10.84
> 5        10.877  10.838
> avg      10.8566 10.8544   diff: -0.02%
> error     0.19%   1.00%
>
> > HTML rendering:
> > Mike Hommey once blogged about benchmarking the ACID test:
> > http://web.glandium.org/blog/?cat=17
>
> I followed that to: http://celtickane.com/webdesign/jsspeed2007.php
> The differences between runs were too high for me to use, so I skipped
> this for now.
>
> > Nexuiz:
> > | To run the benchmark: start Nexuiz & open the console (`) issuing:
> > | timedemo demos/demo1.dem The results will be stored in:
> > | ~/.nexuiz/data/benchmark.log
>
> This one showed a possible difference:
>
> nexuiz  Normal  Hardened
> 1       66.68   68.113
> 2       66.802  66.93
> 3       66.758  67.03
> 4       66.728  67.051
> 5       66.859  67.037
> avg     66.7654 67.2322  diff: 0.70%
> error    0.14%   1.31%
>
> So, for nexuiz, with all hardening enabled in i386, there was a
> less-than-1-percent reduction in speed.  Though the error margin for the
> hardened runs were still larger than the measured slow-down.
>
> > Not sure about XML benchmarks.
>
> I did parse/render tests with inkscape on i386.  Some of that is XML, but
> I figured it was heavy CPU, which might be worth something.  Note that
> inkscape already compiles with all hardening options (excepting PIE),
> so the "hardened" time differences are entirely due to PIE.  This one
> turned out similar to nexuiz, but with less error.  Again, less than 1
> percent slow-down was seen.
>
> inkscape    Normal  Hardened
> 1           48.163  48.503
> 2           48.227  48.535
> 3           48.267  48.647
> 4           48.335  48.431
> 5           48.199  48.587
> avg         48.2382 48.5406   diff: 0.63%
> error        0.20%   0.22%
>
> I also ran inkscape and nexuiz tests on x86_64, and there was no
> measurable difference.  I'm unclear if this was due to the extra
> [...]

  Thank you very much for those. Though what did you built using -fPIE
FORTIFY_SOURCES and so on ? only the tested applications ? or their
build-deps as well ? Because I don't expect mplayer to be slowed a lot
if you don't rebuild its ogg/mp3/mpg/... as well :) Same goes for
inkscape.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit