Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:42:02 +0100 (CET)
From: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
To: Debian Developers <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: How important is "Architecture: any" (Was: Downloads things, ...)

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

I guess you might be right, now.  Earlier, we used depends to pull in
packages using the meta packages during installation.  Now we use
tasksel tasks, which are more forgiving about missing packages.  We
did have a problem with the debian-edu package failing to propagate
into testing because it depended on arch-any packages that was missing
on some architecture.  Now that we are using recommends, and
recommends might even be installed by default, I guess the need is not
so high.

Hmmm, once you say so I remember (non-RC!) bugs for not available
Recommended packages.  So it will not block anything but I'm not sure
about the policy here.  If we are just asking for those bug reports
(even if non RC) the plan is quite suboptimal.

Kind regards

             Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de