Re: conditional dependency?

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:56:09PM +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
>
>> I maintain libetpan package, which build-depends on libcurl4-gnutls-dev.
>> Resulting library package dependency is calculated using
>> ${shlib:Depends}, however libdev package dependency on
>> libcurl4-gnutls-dev is manually written in debian/control file. The build
>> package dependency is valuable since -lcurl is among 'libetpan-config
>> --ldflags' output.
>
>> I've got a wishlist report (#467297), where reporter asks to add
>> alternative dependency libcurl3-gnutls-dev for better backporting
>> support.
>
>> While it is easy for build-dependency (just use libcurl4-gnutls-dev |
>> libcurl3-gnutls-dev), I see a problem here with libdev package
>> dependency. It should depend not on libcurl4-gnutls-dev |
>> libcurl3-gnutls-dev, but on exact one that was actually used when
>> building package.
>
>> How to handle this properly?
>
> Fix libetpan-config on Debian to not return libraries that are only
> related to static linking, and drop libcurl4-gnutls-dev to a Recommends?

This looks against how librarieshave been packaged in the past.
In particular, Debian Library Packaging guide [0], sec 6.2, states that
libdev package should depend on all libdev packages that the library
package directly depends upon.

Did something change recently?
Maybe I missed something?
Coukd you please provide any pointers to how libraries should be packaged
today?

[0] http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/
(referenced from sec 6.7.2 of Developer Reference)