Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:38:03AM +0000, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > > I vote for clean history and a bissectable tree, and I think it is worth the
> > > effort.  But I am no dpkg developer, this is a thing you guys have to find
> > > an agreement among yourselves.
> >
> >   You vote for the mad route. Sorry, but it makes absolutely no sense to
> > me. Ian's work was done at some point, tested from that point, and it
> > makes sense to remember that fact. Actually it's insane to forget that
> > fact. And rebasing is just pretending that fact never existed. It's just
> > wrong.
>
> Let me put this straight. I don't want Ian to rebase for the sake of
> rebasing. I have no problem with merging clean branches.
>
> But his branch is not clean:
> http://git.debian.org/?p=users%2Fiwj%2Fdpkg.git&a=search&h=triggers&st=author&s=Ian+Jackson
>
> It starts with two very big commits touching almost all files
> and is followed by many small commits which have ubuntu changelog entries
> as commit log (and thus the "summary line" is useless).
> It also contains invalid email address in some "Author" fields.
>
> I wanted him to present the history in a way that makes sense to
> proof-readers and anyone else working on dpkg.
>
> Had he developed his branch with care to have something reviewable, I
> would have zero problem merging his branch without requiring a rebase.

  Well, what you want him to do then is not rebasing onto master,
because that won't change that a single bit. And indeed I agree this
history is a complete mess, and an SCM abuse.

  What you want him to do is using:

      git rebase -i <his original branch point>

  which will _not_ change where he came from, but only how he presented
it, which is a tiny smallish lie about how it was brought to the world,
but would make history way better.

  But again, rebasing onto master will not make that any better, it'll
make fresh pooish history instead of the current one.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit