Re: How to cope with patches sanely

David Nusinow <dnusinow@speakeasy.net> writes:

> The problem is that you and Manoj assume that this is the only way to do
> things. I don't believe this. Pierre Habouzit has been experimenting
> with an alternative method of feature branches that exports to a linear
> stack of diffs just fine. Just because Manoj is doing something one way
> right now doesn't mean it's the only or even the correct way to do it.

Well, I definitely don't think it's the only way to do things, and I've
been one of the people arguing in favor of quilt and exporting to a set of
patches.  :)  But the "native" Git workflow that people have previously
written up for Debian packages doesn't seem to me to linearize very
easily, and IMO one of the points here was to let maintainers keep using
their native workflows and use the package format for interchange.
Changing the workflow to allow easier export to a particular package
format seems to be going the wrong direction to me.

In other words, I still think a patch-based package format is a good idea
and would be very valuable for a lot of what's in Debian, but I have to
agree with Manoj's point, based on what I've seen so far, that converting
an arbitrary Git or Arch repository for Debian package maintenance to such
a package format isn't necessarily easy.