Re: Debian Configuration Packaging System

Timothy G Abbott <tabbott@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Anders Kaseorg and I created a system of CDBS modules (which we've
> tentatively packaged as the config-package-dev package) for creating
> Debian configuration packages.  By configuration packages, we mean
> packages that configure an existing Debian system by applying
> dpkg-divert to configuration files.  Our configuration package system
> makes the process of creating configuration packages efficient.

It's generally accepted wisdom that dpkg-divert doesn't work properly with
configuration files and isn't safe.  I admit to have done something
similar in the past, but I have noticed odd things that didn't matter for
my particular use, but which meant that the support didn't work right.
That's likely to be an issue for a general package.  Fixing dpkg-divert to
work correctly with configuration files (if possible) would probably be a
good idea.