Re: dash bug which is affecting release goal

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Sergei Golovan writes ("Re: dash bug which is affecting release goal"):

>> Expression ${1+"$@"} means "if $1 exists use "$@", otherwise nothing".
>> It's a workaround for a bug in some old bash version which erroneously
>> converted "$@" in case of empty command line into a single empty
>> argument. I think in new releases it isn't necessary to account for
>> this.

> Ah.  I haven't encountered that bug.  Was it in any recently released
> version.  I don't think we should be worrying about it now, surely ?

The Autoconf manual doesn't mention bash, just some pre-POSIX shells:

`$@'
     One of the most famous shell-portability issues is related to
     `"$@"'.  When there are no positional arguments, POSIX says that
     `"$@"' is supposed to be equivalent to nothing, but the original
     Unix Version 7 Bourne shell treated it as equivalent to `""'
     instead, and this behavior survives in later implementations like
     Digital Unix 5.0.