Re: Proposed MBF: Debian upstream version higher than watch file-reported upstream version

On Sunday 17 February 2008 15:41, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> [Please respect the Reply-To header]
>
> In order to bring some more QA on the watch files subject I'd like to start
> a permanent MBF on packages whose Debian upstream version (the version
> string from Version: without the epoch and the Debian revision) is higher
> than the latest upstream version found thanks to their watch file.
>
> Rationale: the watch files are meant to keep track of upstream and if
> there's a newer version not being reported by the watch file it means that
> it needs to be fixed.
>
> Please note that this situation often occurs when the maintainer didn't
> make the watch file strip some +VCSrevNNNNN that was added to the Debian
> Version.
>
> If nobody objects I'll start filling (in an automated way since there are
> no false positives) reports on the 307 source packages which report a
> Debian upstream version higher than Upstream version by the watch file.

I disagree.  You list my package:

Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com>
   pysubnettree

The reason this package is in the state it's in is that upstream uploaded a
new version of the package without changing the released version number so a
fake version number was needed.  While suboptimal, there is no bug in the
watch file.

While this is no doubt a rare condition, I believe that your assertion that
there are no false positives is incorrect.

Scott K