Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:38:59 -0500
From: K.S. Bhaskar <ks.bhaskar@fnis.com>
To: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping GT.M (fwd)

Andreas --

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I was caught up with some urgent work.

The way we bootstrap GT.M is that we use the previous release of GT.M to build it. If you like, we are happy to provide you with the files from our build of GT.M V5.3-001 (the current version), which will let you build it for yourself. Alternatively, you can use the released binaries to build your own fresh binaries from the released sources. But, just as there must be a C compiler to build gcc, GT.M needs a MUMPS implementation - GT.M itself since there is no alternative - to build GT.M. I don't see an easy way out of this conundrum. There is of course no technical obstacle to replacing the bootstrap with awk or perl programs, but that would be more work for us with no clear benefit.

In any case, it looks like there is precedent in the Debian world for bootstrapping by requiring an existing binary for building a new binary.

Regards
-- Bhaskar