Re: Meaning of the "Altering package upload rules"

Le Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 01:12:44PM +0100, Enrico Tassi a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 11:07:22PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > On 13/02/08 at 22:21 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > Currently, we already have several DDs building their packages without
> > using an up-to-date, clean sid chroot.  If we start throwing away the
>
> Even if the package is rebuilt, the uploaded debs are not useless.
> You may debdiff them and eventually informe the developer that:
> - his build environment is corrupted (or the buildd's one)
> - his package build process is installation sensitive (behaves
>   differently on a different installation).

Hi all,

This is a very good idea, but the reason why source-only uploads are not
allowed is that there are concerns that if the binary package is not
used for real, the quality of the source package will drop. Within this
hypothesis, there is no incentive for the laxist developper to use the
valuable feedback that you propose.

When he communicated about source-only uploads in his email of January
2007, James Troup wrote:

  "This is not something I personally think is a good idea but
  I won't stand in the way of consensus of the Release Managers and the
  developer community as a whole."

http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/873b5zaoh4.fsf@pasta.gloaming.local

Therefore, to move forward, It seems that the opinion of the release
managers is needed.

The other concern of James Troup is that the i386 buildd may not keep
up. So I guess that another piece of the puzzle is in the hand of the
i386 buildd maintainers, the release team, the i386 porters, and the
system administration team.

Then, because "a consensus between the Release Managers and the
developer community as a whole" has been required, a GR will be needed.
Since it is a necessary step, the writing of it may be a useful tool to
clarify arguments before presenting them to the persons in charge ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org