Re: dash bug which is affecting release goal

Am Montag, 11. Februar 2008 13:19:25 schrieb Frans Pop:
> Mike Bird wrote:
> > Debian should ensure that millions of Debian users around
> > the world who have written and tested millions of tiny shell
> > scripts with no thought to the possibility that /bin/sh may
> > one day become not-bash will not suffer millions of hours
> > of down time (or worse - bad data) due to a Debian change.
>
> Hmmm. To be honest up till now I was assuming that the change of the
> default would only affect _new_ installs and that existing systems being
> upgraded from Etch to Lenny would be unaffected.
>
> Was that an incorrect assumption?
This was also my assumption. I think existing installations (with
dist-upgrade) will use /bin/bash as default.. so I do miss the point for
the real long discussion here.

The people are right: It would be not very good to break millions of
administration scripts.. but if a server with an existing installation is
upgraded /bin/sh shouldn't be touched.

So only people are affected who install a completly new server and migrate
everything from there... but if this is done without testing the I think
this is the fault of the administrator and not ours.

Just my 2c.

Greetings
winnie

--