Re: dash bug which is affecting release goal

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:57:51PM +0000, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
>
> > Dash has a serious bug which is causing grief.
> >
> > The problem is that it overrides the system's "test" command (in
> > Debian, /usr/bin/test and /usr/bin/[) and does so in a way which is
> > inconsistent with the Debian versions.
>
> Onlookers should see http://bugs.debian.org/267142 for the long history of
> the previous discussions of this.

$ dash -c 'test a = a -a b = b ; echo $?; [ a != a -o a = b ]; echo $?'
0
1

  WTF is going on please ? -a and -o are prefectly supported (at least
in the unstable's dash)

  And FWIW in the last POSIX copy I own, in the shell and utilities
document:
  * test -a
  * test -o
  * test ( )
are XSI (X/Open System Interfaces) optional features, that unlike what
Thomas pretend are properly documented.

  I agree we would like those XSI extensions to be implemented in our
/bin/sh shells. But AFAICT dash complies, even for the () grouping:

  $ dash -c 'test \( a = a -o b = 1 \) -a c = c ; echo $?'
  0

  How come no-one even *bothered* to check. I have my plate full with
whiners.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit