Re: Copyright question (BSD with advertisement clause)

Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> writes:

> This example is maybe a bit artificial, but the point is that with such
> licences in main, redistributors who use advertisement should in theory
> read all the copyright files to check who to acknowledge. For this
> reason, I wouldn't recommend to include this program in main.

There is already much software in Debian main with this license and other
Debian Developers who do not agree with this and who will continue to
include such software in Debian main.  (It is, after all specifically
called out as a free license in the Debian Free Software Guidelines.)  So
the practical impact for a Debian derivative of including or not including
one more package with the four-clause BSD license is minimal.