Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Tue Feb 05 14:16, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On ti, 2008-02-05 at 12:07 +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> > Also: * The package format should be standardised such that the same
> >         workflow works for everyone.
>
> If that's a reference to my first post to this discussion, it's not
> accurate. I don't care about standardizing package formats, but I do
> want to have one, simple sequence of operations to work on all packages.
> Specifically I want "dpkg-source -x" to unpack a source package so that
> it is ready for modification, and "dpkg-source -b" to build a new source
> package after it's been edited. Patch systems can and should conform to
> that, since it's important for those doing archive-wide QA.

I agree with that, however the discussion following that had lots of
people (at least to me) saying that this set of operations should be a
DVCS workflow. If I've misinterpreted that then I'm sorry to whoever
I've inadvertently maligned (-:

Standardising NMU/QA workflow is good. I just don't think it should
involve invoking any sort of VCS and knowing how the merging works.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson