Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 05:47:13PM +1100, martin f krafft wrote:
> As Debian moves more and more into developing countries, where
> Internet access is not (yet) ubiquitous, this seems like a step
> backwards. Ideally, the history should be on the source DVDs.

Nope, I disagree. Well, I agree that it would be cool to have the
history on the DVDs, but we have never had it, beside the changelogs
which only describe changes without including the actual changed lines.
So I fail to see how this would be a step backward.

That said, I would also love to see the .git.tar.gz format in practice,
but that would be an advantage only for developers (and only for those
which are currently missing broad band to use debcheckout ...), not for
our average users. An advancement on the same line, with a much broader
result would be obtained by having all Debian packages on whatever
version control system, no matter how we play with the source package
format.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/