Re: How to cope with patches sanely

Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert.spam@gmx.net> writes:

> I read your answer to Raphael, where you point to so called "feature
> branches". This leads to the question, if people should be forced to use
> a special VCS (which is already discussed somewhere else in the thread),
> whereas creating Debian packages never relayed on the usage of a VCS.

While the time might not be yet, DVCS systems are getting to the point
where they could make our lives all much simpler.  Having all of
Debian in git, where anyone can clone and hack would be (IMHO) a
worthy goal to aim for.  Currently, there are many packages I can't
work on--simply because I am not intimately familiar with the
patch-system-du-jour the maintainer chose,
upstream-tarball-in-orig.tar.gz being my greatest bane.  Having a
single tool we all need to learn once would (again, IMHO) be useful in
fixing this.

Having now been a regular git user for most of last year, having a
package format using git sounds like a fantastic idea.  As an
upstream, I was considering putting the git repo in the distribution
tarball, so you can branch, merge etc. directly from an unpacked
tarball.

Regards,
Roger

--