Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008, Ben Finney wrote:
> Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert.spam@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > And people should check the VCS history just to get the current
> > "patch"?
>
> What is "the current patch"? If you mean the entire set of differences
> against the upstream source, I already addressed that: simply generate
> a diff between the branches containing upstream source versus
> debian-packaged source.
>
> As I pointed out, there are already tools that generate an entire
> Debian source package, including 'foo.orig.tar.gz' and 'foo.diff.gz',
> in a single step from a given VCS. Evidently what you ask for is
> possible, and already indeed implemented such that it is easy.
>
> If you mean something else by "the current patch", please explain
> further.

Imagine an history like this:

- Change behaviour1
- Change behaviour2
- Bugfix in patch to change behaviour1
- Bugfix in patch to change behaviour2

You have two logical patches and a dumb export from the VCS into
debian/patches/ would give 4 patches when you really want only two.

In his own words, "current patch" is the "logical patch".

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog