Re: Introducing security hardening features for Lenny

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:45:32PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> * SSP has a cost proportional to the number of calls an application
>   performs (If I'm correct), which in CPU intensive tasks may become an
>   issue.

In testing I've done, this is trivial overhead.  Note that the extra code
is only generated for functions with >8 byte of stack.
(-fstack-protector-all is for doing _all_ functions, which doesn't make
any sense.)

> * FORTITY_SOURCES=2 checks memcpy and memmove, though other functions it
>   checks should just not be used and applications beeing too slow
>   because of them should just be shot down.

I still haven't found a comprehensive list of what -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE
does, and at which levels various features are enabled.  I've dug up
various bits and pieces, but I'd love to see a pointer to good
documentation.  Without that, I suspect attempting to develop a
reasonable test workload is bound to miss certain things.

> * PIE is just IMHO not an option on x86 :/

I disagree here -- the bulk of applications tend to use shared libraries,
and those are all PIC.  I have a hard time believing that adding the
same relocation overhead for the main program is an issue.  Of course,
without numbers, we're all just waving our arms.  :)

>   Though probably someone should come up with some benchmarks. The usual
> culprits (multimedia libraries, html renderers, xml processors, …) all
> provide easily deployed bench, and before we go any further I'd like to
> see some numbers.

Does anyone have any good test harnesses we can try this on?  I'd be
more than happy to run them on some modern hardware.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook