Re: How to cope with patches sanely

Le Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 11:33:39PM +1100, Ben Finney a écrit :

> It seems to me that you can only agree with the position that "you can
> check out the source to the package using 'apt-get source'. This
> allows examination and midification of the source to any package" if
> "the source to the package" is agreed upon.

Hi all,

In that case, I think that the man page of apt-get should be
authoritative on what is expected from running 'apt-get source': "source
causes apt-get to fetch source packages." The definition of the debian
source package in Policy C.3 does not mention that the upsteam sources
must bear all the modifications that the debian/rules makefile applies
to them before starting compilation and/or installation.

So for the moment there is no tool for people to examinate the patched
sources without having to know about the patch systems. Maybe a bit of
Policy on a 'patch' rule for 'debian/rules' and an option --patch for
'apt-get source', or 'dpkg-source', would solve this aspect of the
problem.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy