Re: dependencies for autoconf

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:08:47 -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> I am torn between the two possibilities.  On one hand, Debian
> policy is clear that packages should have full dependencies on
> all the programs that they may invoke.

I disagree with that. Quoting policy 7.2:
          The `Depends' field should be used if the depended-on package is
          required for the depending package to provide a significant
          amount of functionality.

autoconf provides a significant amount of functionality without
automake, so there's no reason this should be a Depends imo.

Cheers,
Julien