Re: elinks[-lite] doesn't provide links anymore

On 08/01/23 20:59 +1100, Hamish Moffatt said ...
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:07:57PM +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
> > Beginning elinks 0.11.3-2, the elinks and elinks-lite binary packages
> > don't "Provides: links" anymore (See bug #154859 and Debian ELinks GIT
> > commit a885ecead29f808310e6c2908f59f59a8d69b3ac).  The links alternative
> > isn't installed.
>
> Wouldn't have providing a links executable been a better solution?

The codebase, functionality and CLI options for links and elinks are
fast diverging, so calling elinks as links and considering elinks as a
links alternative (in the Debian sense) is probably not fair.  If a
links executable were provided, we should conflict with the links
package.

> It would have solved the bug but also not broken those other packages.

Even though I did not build or test any of those packages, I have a
feeling it would not be a very bad breakage, and I am hoping I did not
screw up very badly.

But there would be users that use elinks as links because of the
alternative it used to install.  I will:

- Document this change in README.Debian
- Have elinks install a /usr/bin/links script indicating this change to
  the user and co-ordinate with the links maintainer for a dpkg-divert.

Does that sound reasonable?

Cheers,

Giridhar

--