Re: dpkg symbol handling: looking for advice on #MISSING symbols

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, pabs@debian.org wrote:
> I looked at the output of this command:
>
> c++filt < libgtkmathview0c2a_i386  | grep MISSING
>
> I see lots of mentions of SmartPtr and a few of TemplateBuilder.
>
> ComputerModernShaper seems to be gone.

It's not gone... if you check carefully you'll see changes such as:
- added in 0.8.0: ComputerModernShaper::shapeBigCharH(ShapingContext&,
  ComputerModernShaper::HBigChar const&) const
- removed in 0.8.0: ComputerModernShaper::shapeBigCharH(ShapingContext
  const&, ComputerModernShaper::HBigChar const&) const

Changing the definition of the method (even with just a "const"
removed) changes the name of the symbol, but I don't know if it breaks
any application using the old symbol. I suppose so...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog