FTBFS due to 32-bit chroot on 64-bit machines without setting machine personality

On Jan 16, 2008 3:57 AM, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> Package: piespy
> version: 0.4.0-2
> Severity: serious
> User: debian-qa@lists.debian.org
> Usertags: qa-ftbfs-20080115 qa-ftbfs
> Justification: FTBFS on i386
>
> Hi,
>
> During a rebuild of all packages in sid, your package failed to build on i386.
>
> Relevant part:
>
>  > dpkg-source: building piespy in piespy_0.4.0-2.dsc
>  >  debian/rules build
>  > dh_testdir
>  > cd lib && mkdir pircbot && cd pircbot && \
>  >              jar -xf ../pircbot.jar && \
>  >              find . -name '*.class' -exec rm {} ';' && \
>  >              javac `find . -name '*.java'` && \
>  >              jar -cf ../../pircbot.jar org
>  > ./org/jibble/pircbot/Colors.java:1: error: The type java.lang.Object cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files
[snip]
> The full build log is available from:
>         http://people.debian.org/~lucas/logs/2008/01/15
>
> A list of current common problems and possible solutions is available at
> http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/FTBFS . You're welcome to contribute!
>
> About the archive rebuild: The rebuild was done on about 50 AMD64 nodes
> of the Grid'5000 platform, using a clean chroot containing a sid i386
> environment.  Internet was not accessible from the build systems.

Hi,

This seems to be caused by the use of a 32-bit chroot on an amd64
system, without using the 'linux32' utility to set the proper machine
personality, according to
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-java@lists.debian.org/msg11584.html

Should I consider this a bug in piespy? In my opinion, it's more of a
bug in the rebuild project (or possibly pbuilder).

Thanks,

Bryan Donlan