Re: Correct spelling/capitalisation of project names

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 16:25:17 +0100
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le mercredi 09 janvier 2008 à 13:54 +0000, Neil Williams a écrit :
> > GnomeVFS is used by GNOME but it does not require GNOME itself. It
> > isn't a "part of GNOME"
>
> Erm, GnomeVFS is a key part of the GNOME platform.

It isn't part of GNOME in the same way as libgnomeui or nautilus - it
can easily be used by packages that have no GNOME dependencies. It is
very useful that packages can use GnomeVFS with GTK+ without
gnomecanvas, libgnomeui and the rest of GNOME.

> > and in some ways it could be called GVFS to
> > indicate a relationship with libglib2.0-0 (used by all GNOME libraries
> > and lots of none-GNOME ones).
>
> GVFS is a different project, which is eventually going to replace
> GnomeVFS, but with a different API.

Sounds useful - I look forward to migrating my upstream projects to it
if it is similarly free of other GNOME dependencies.

--

Neil Williams