Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 12:17:54AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Joey Hess]
> > The alternative would be changing the default for new installs, but leaving
> > existing installs as-is.

> Yes.  That might be an acceptable alternative.

> > [1] Really it probably makes sense to explicitly stop xdm during shutdown
> >     anyway, since that more cleanly shuts down X.

> How does it more cleanly shut down X?  That seem to be the logic
> behind providing all the stop scripts in runlevel 0 and 6, just to
> kill a process.  There is nothing magic about sending a signal. :)

If there's an active X session, surely we would want to give an opportunity
for the session to be saved?  I'm not sure that the current behavior
actually ensures this in any case (it's probably racey in nature), but I
think it's worth bearing in mind.