Re: MTA comparison (postfix, exim4, ...)

* Miles Bader:

> Postfix has a reputation for being faster and more secure than exim.

Nowadays, the Postfix code base is larger than the Exim code base.

> Why is it worth worrying about, though?  Are the difference between exim
> and postfix really great enough to matter for typical use?!?

"/usr/sbin/exim4 -bt" or even "/usr/sbin/exim4 -d+all -bt" can be a real
lifesaver if need to figure out what's going on.  Older versions of
Postfix lacked -bt support (I just had a brief encounter with 2.0 on a
customer machine *shivers*), partly due to its non-monolithic design.
If this has improved (and the documentation seems to suggest that, but I
couldn't test it yet), I see no pratical problems with using Postfix
instead of Exim in most environments--and vice versa, of course.

Personally, what made me stick to Exim so far is the ability to
configure retry behavior on a per-domain basis.  One of my mail servers
delivers mail to some hosts which a reachable only intermittently, and
I've set a lower retry value for these domains.  With Postfix, I'd have
to configure ETRN on the receivers instead, I guess.  But this kind of
setup is somewhat unusual.