Re: MTA comparison (postfix, exim4, ...)

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Miles Bader wrote:
> Why is it worth worrying about, though?  Are the difference between exim
> and postfix really great enough to matter for typical use?!?

No, they are not.  And I speak this as a Postfix user (I replace exim with
postfix in every box I use or admin, and all central MTAs I admin are
postfix).

Most users only need a proper forwarding MTA, and Debian already made it
sane to setup such a thing with either postfix or exim a long time ago.

> [If you're a high-volume mail site, of course, you will care about the
> difference, but then you should be doing your own analysis...]

Indeed.  Exim is supposed to be better (faster or less resource-intensive)
than postfix for some workloads, and obviously the inverse would also be
true.

But the old sysadmin maximum of "all things being nearly the same, do use
what you know best how to operate and configure" is what really should drive
one to choose between exim and postfix (and apparently, sendmail), IMO.

  Henrique Holschuh