What to do when the LaTeX sources are missing, but an XML equivalent was rewritten from scratch ?

Le Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 04:29:36PM +0000, Joerg Jaspert a écrit :
> Hi Maintainer,
>
> rejected, im missing the source for the files in doc/* (if you look at
> them its pretty clear that its LaTeX source).

Hi Joerg,

I would like to discuss this on -devel, because I think that the issue
of these documents is open.

In the program dialign-t, some documentation files have been obviously
generated with LaTeX. In the absence of sources, I have made new sources
in XML, that I use to generate a manpage.

Now that I have a XML source that is almost equivalent to the latex one,
I could generate html, pdf and ps replacements to the existing
documentation and distribute them in the binariy Debian package. Of
course the best would be that upstream provide the LaTeX source or
accept the XML ones, but I got no answer from him.

Given that:

 - despite the absence of latex sources one is allowed to take a
   html, pdf or ps editor and modify the old documentation in the
   .orig.tar.gz under the terms of the LGPL;

 - the content of the source-orphan files is available in another source
   format which could be used to generate equivalent documents that
   would only differ by their formatting;

could such a package be qualified for the main archive?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org