Re: MTA comparison (postfix, exim4, ...)

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:36:06 +0000
MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> 1. it doesn't seem to have as many anti-spam possibilities as Exim -
> there's postgrey for greylisting, but how can I tarpit RBL matches and
> other offences?

A quick 'apt-cache search postfix' lists a number of different policy
daemons, one of which might do what you want out of the box.  Add in
the recent support for the sendmail milter interface, and I would be
surprised if you couldn't find something appropriate.

Still, if not...well, I wrote an event-driven postfix policy daemon in
perl using POE that's able to handle > 100 queries/second on consumer
hardware in a few dozen lines of code.

> 2. when an email that I'm forwarding (due to /etc/aliases or a
> .forward or whatever) comes in, can I start trying to send it straight
> out and SMTP-reject it if the remote host doesn't want it?  My only
> production postfix server generates some blowback from joe-jobs if
> users forward mail to a more restrictive host, which I think is a
> serious problem.

I believe http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html
details the facility you're looking for.

Mike.