Packaging: handling "private" libraries

Hi all,
I've already posted this question to my team's mailing list (debian-med), to
mentors and, since I received no answer, here it is "the last shore": here.

I'm working on the packaging of bioimagesuite [1], and upstream carries lots of
libraries. I've added dependencies on existing packages where possible, but the
upstream source also carries some "customized" libraries which aren't available
elsewhere on the net.

Here's the problem: dpkg-shlibdeps fails:

dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: couldn't find library libvtkpxRegistrationTCL.so
(note: only packages with 'shlibs' files are looked into).

I don't know how to handle this, since the library it refers to is
"internal" or "private" to the package.

I hope someone could help me.

Kindly,
David